Home About Recipes Gallery Contact
Chicken Katsu Curry
Saturday 23 June 2012

Hey everyone!!! I know this is different from my usual baking posts, but I wanted to share this Chicken Katsu Curry that I've made a while ago. It is one of my favourite Japanese dishes so I decided to give it a try from scratch!


I used Gizzie Erskine's recipe and you can find that through here. I've made it PLENTY of times so the recipe is very reliable and fool-proof! As you can see below, it needs quite a lot of ingredients... But don't be discouraged as it is very easy and definitely worth it!

Ingredients
For the Curry Sauce:
  • 1 tbsp groundnut or vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, peeled and chopped
  • 5 whole garlic cloves, peeled
  • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 2 tbsp corn flour
  • 1 tbsp medium curry powder
  • 600ml chicken stock
  • 2 tsp honey
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
For the chicken:
  • 4 x 100g chicken breasts
  • 100g flour, seasoned with lots of salt and pepper
  • 1 free-ranged egg, beaten lightly
  • 120g cornflakes, bashed in a pestle and mortar
  • 5 spritzs of olive oil
  • Sticky rice, to serve
Method:
  1. Heat the oven to 200ºC. To make the sauce, heat the oil in a small pan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 mins, then throw in the carrot pieces and cook slowly for 10 mins, with the lid on giving the odd stir occasionally. You want to sweat the vegetables until softened and starting to caramelise.
  2. Stir in the corn flour and curry powder and cook them for a min. Slowly pour in the chicken stock bit by bit until combined (do it slowly to avoid getting lumps). Add the honey, soy and bay leaf then bring to the boil. 
  3. Reduce the heat to a slow simmer and cook for 20 mins. The sauce will have thickened and taken on all of the flavours, although you still need it to have a pouring consistency. Add the garam masala, salt and pepper, then pass the sauce through a sieve. (Some people might like a chunky sauce so feel free not to strain it)
  4. Meanwhile, for the chicken, lay the seasoned flour, egg and cornflakes on to separate plates. Coat the chicken breasts into the flour, then the egg and finally cover with the cornflakes.
  5. Spritz with oil then put in the hot oven for 12-15 mins. Slice the chicken diagonally then serve with Japanese steamed rice and salad.


The first time I made it, it took me almost 1 hour and 40 minutes + a LOT of plain flour to get the sauce to the right consistency! It was very frustrating so I decided to change the original recipe from plain flour to corn flour in the second time I made it. If you prefer a thicker sauce, use corn flour but if you don't, you can switch it up to plain flour.


It looks different to the thick and differently-coloured sauce from Wagamama. When I first cooked it, I was expecting it to look like that but the result was the proper curry sauce that I've had in authentic Japanese restaurants. So that was an extra plus! Overall, it is a really delish and heartwarming meal. Definitely worth the time and effort it takes to make it!

Profile

Hii!!! I'm Anna. A 21 year old Media student in London with a baking obsession. I like to make cakes, desserts or any kinds of sweet things and blog about them!

Links
Subscribe
Follow on Bloglovin
Misc


Instagram