Home About Recipes Gallery Contact
Arroz Caldo
Thursday 23 February 2012

Last week, I got really ill when I was in uni. Like very ill that I was having a coughing fit constantly 24/7, inhalers couldn't ease my asthma attacks and I was constantly struggling to breathe. But still, this didn't stop my fattiness and addiction to cooking! I had cravings for my mom's Arroz Caldo at 3 am in the morning! I was actually contemplating getting up and cooking...

Arroz Caldo, literally translated as 'rice broth', is a Filipino congee that closely resembles risotto. My mom used to make this for me when I was young and ill, hence, my cravings for it.

Ingredients:
  • 250g chicken portions
  • 1 cup uncooked rice
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce
  • 4-5 garlic cloves (I like mine garlicky so suit to your taste)
  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 4  hard boiled eggs
  • 1 cup spring onions, minced
  • 2 knobs ginger
  • 1 piece of chicken cube
  • 1 piece of lemon
  • 2 tbsp cooking oil
Method:
  1. Heat the cooking oil in a pot, then saute the garlic, onion and ginger.
  2. Put in the chicken and cook until golden brown. Add the fish sauce.
  3. Sprinkle the ground pepper and any herbs you may want to add.
  4. Add the chicken cube and uncooked rice, mix and cook for a few minutes.
  5. Pour in the water and bring to a boil.
  6. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the rice is fully cooked (30-40 minutes). Stir occasionally to avoid the rice from sticking.
  7. Add the hard boiled eggs.
  8. Serve hot with lemon juice and topped with spring onions.

This homely dish is simple to make and will surely warm you up, especially during the cold winter nights. It is super delish and every single bite of it reminds me of home!

Profile

Hii!!! I'm Anna. A 21 year old Media student in London with a baking obsession. I like to make cakes, desserts or any kinds of sweet things and blog about them!

Links
Subscribe
Follow on Bloglovin
Misc


Instagram